How to Prepare Yourself to File for Divorce: Part 1
Part 1 – Children
If you find yourself in a position of facing a divorce, you may be wondering what the next appropriate steps are to protect yourself or possibly your children. Unbeknownst to many, there are steps one can take to protect themselves even before filing for divorce. First, focus on the big picture. Making the process as peaceful and stress-free for your children is paramount. There are steps one can take to decrease the stress for yourself and your children.
The following are helpful strategies to help with the potential challenges one faces in divorce:
- Understand that in a divorce proceeding, there is not a “winner”;
- Get emotional support for yourself as a means to decrease your emotional reactions to the situation;
- Avoid speaking negatively of your spouse, especially in the presence of your children;
- Attempt to maintain an open dialogue with your spouse; and
- Seek assistance from a professional that can help you to understand the legal process of a divorce proceeding.
For additional questions or concerns, please contact Simpson Legal Group, LLC, at (712) 256-9899.